Senior Technical Safety Engineer
We are looking for an experienced senior technical safety engineer to join us in our mission to contribute to a greener future. The role is a part of our passionate CAM (Cathode Active Materials) team based in Skellefteå. By joining us, you will be a key player in establishing CAM and contribute to building one of the first large scale European battery factories.
In Västerås, we are currently developing and industrialising Northvolt’s next generation li-ion CAM. In joining us you will play an important role in validating, scaling-up and designing the process required to produce this new material. In Skellefteå, you will be a key member in the team that executes and drives the start-up of the first full-scale Northvolt production plant. Northvolt keeps growing in Sweden and abroad, and you can be part of leading the global transition to a more sustainable world.
About the job
As a senior technical safety engineer within the CAM team you will be required work on a variety of projects across all project phases.
Overall responsibilities include:
- Development of ways of working and roadmaps to drive the implementation of technical safety across the CAM team
- Coordinate and provide expert technical support for technical safety activities in compliance with international and local standards to Production, Maintenance, and Projects
Be an expert in hazardous area classification, emergency escape route, fire & gas detection and protection, emergency management, noise & vibration study, contamination, safety equipment specification, waste assessment etc.
Give technical safety inputs throughout the development of project lifecycle (FEED, Detailed Design, Construction, Commissioning, and plant Start-up) for major capital Projects and R&D projects.
Support application of local rules, international standards, and best practices for hazard identification and risk management
Review specifications, design, and supply of equipment in technical safety discipline to ensure compliance with safety, permitting, and company procedures
Participate in, and have experience in coordinating/facilitating risk assessments sessions such as HAZID, HAZOP, LOPA and other safety studies
Be knowledgeable in Occupational Safety, Environmental Safety, SIMOPs, Pre-start up safety review, Asset integrity, Human factor engineering, Safety in Design, incident investigations, root cause analysis, Management of change, reliability and efficiency, third-party services, and compliance assurance
- Ensure that design meets all Technical Safety requirements and maintains risks to as low as reasonably practicable
- Actively maintain own competence according to standards and pursue continuous professional development and self-awareness of relevant regulatory framework, legislation changes, initiatives, and industry technology developments
Process in design:
- Establish design basis guidelines for process design in dedicated process areas
- Follow-up contractor process design and deliverables
- Participate/contribute to HAZID/HAZOP/LOPA/design reviews (or equivalent)
- Ensure process design is in accordance to national and international standards
- Ensure process design is according to latest most efficient/developed technology, or at minimum according to requirements set by the project business case
Process in commissioning and start-up:
- Ensure the process areas are well commissioned and checked out
- Ensure that all technical safety requirements are met before hand over to production
Process in operation and production:
- Drive process improvement projects for existing production facilities
- Follow-up design improvements for identified safety concerns in TIA systems
You will play an important role in the interface with equipment suppliers, engineering contractors, chemical experts, environmental engineers, production teams and Northvolt factory design teams to efficiently integrate technical safety into the factory and process design.
The persons we are looking for are team players, curious, and eager to learn. You will get the chance to have a real impact on our success story and see the results of your work. Our organization requires and values great self-discipline and talents who make things happen.
The CAM Process Engineering team is working both in Skellefteå in Sweden.
Full-time employment, fixed salary. The planned starting date is as soon as possible.