Senior Process Safety Engineer
We are looking for an experienced senior process safety engineer to join us in our mission to contribute to a greener future. The role is a part of our passionate CAM (Cathode Active Materials) team based in Skellefteå or Västerås. By joining us, you will be a key player in establishing CAM and contribute to building one of the first large scale European battery factories.
In Västerås, we are currently developing and industrialising Northvolt’s next generation li-ion CAM. In joining us you will play an important role in validating, scaling-up and designing the process required to produce this new material. In Skellefteå, you will be a key member in the team that executes and drives the start-up of the first full-scale Northvolt production plant. Northvolt keeps growing in Sweden and abroad, and you can be part of leading the global transition to a more sustainable world.
About the Job
As a senior process safety engineer within the CAM team you will be required work on a variety of projects across all project phases.
Overall responsibilities include:
- Development of ways of working and roadmaps to drive the implementation of process safety across the CAM team
- Coordinate and provide expert technical support for technical safety activities in compliance with international and local standards to Production, Maintenance, and Projects
- Be an expert in hazardous area classification, emergency escape route, fire & gas detection and protection, emergency management, noise & vibration study, contamination, safety equipment specification, waste assessment and etc.
- Give technical safety inputs throughout the development of project lifecycle (FEED, Detail Design, Construction, Commissioning, and plant Start-up) for major capital Projects and R&D projects.
- Support application of local rules, international standards, and best practices for hazard identification and risk management
- Review specifications, design, and supply of equipment in technical safety discipline to ensure compliance with safety, permitting, and company procedures
- Participate and preferable experience in coordinating/facilitating risk assessments sessions such as HAZID, HAZOP, LOPA and other safety studies
- Be knowledgeable in Occupational Safety, Environmental Safety, SIMOPs, Pre-start up safety review, Asset integrity, Human factor engineering, Safety in Design, incident investigations, root cause analysis, Management of change, reliability and efficiency, third-party services, and compliance assurance
- Ensure that design meets all Technical Safety requirements and maintains risks to as low as reasonably practicable
- Actively maintain own competence according to standards and pursue continuous professional development and self-awareness of relevant regulatory framework, legislation changes, initiatives, and industry technology developments
Process in design:
- Establish design basis for process design in dedicated process area
- Follow-up contractor process design and deliverables
- Participate/contribute to HAZID/HAZOP/LOPA/design reviews (or equivalent)
- Ensure process design is according to national and international standards
- Ensure process design is according to latest most efficient/developed technology, or at minimum according to requirements set by the project business case
Process in commissioning and start-up:
- Ensure the process areas are well commissioned and checked out
- Ensure that all process safety requirements are met before hand over to production
Process in operation and production:
- Drive process improvement projects for existing production facilities
- Follow-up design improvements for identified safety concerns in TIA systems
- BSc or MSc-degree in Chemical, Process, Production or Mechanical Engineering
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant technical and process safety experience in Chemical Engineering industry/field
- Professional certification in technical safety, risk management, loss prevention is preferred
- Work experience within the design, production and/or EPCM environment would be advantageous
- Proven core process safety engineering skills
- Strong knowledge of technical safety regulations and industry standards
- Experience and interest in the manufacturing industry is a plus
- Familiar with DOE, SPS and QA troubleshooting tools is beneficial
- Successful track record of leading process safety development and project establishment in early initiation phase including feasibility basic and value engineering practices in complex chemical processes
- Successful track record of leading process improvement projects in a production factory is advantageous
- Experience from scaling production in a fast-growing environment, ideally in the battery industry, mineral processing, chemical manufacturing, Pharma, Paper & Pulp, Electrochemical or similar industry
Full-time employment, fixed salary. The planned starting date is as soon as possible. You will be based in Västerås or Skellefteå, depending on which team you join.