LATAM Regional Director Agrotech Business- Fully Remote
The current food system contributes to roughly a quarter of greenhouse gas emissions and is ill-equipped to meet rising global food demand in a socially and environmentally sustainable way. At the same time, small-holder farmers, who produce most of the world’s food, are often amongst the world’s poorest and most vulnerable to the effects of climate change. We are working to change this. Ignitia has developed the world’s first and most accurate tropical weather forecasting model to benefit both small-scale farmers and agribusinesses. By providing hyper-local, highly accurate climate and weather information services, farmers make improved decisions that directly impact yield and productivity. We are a high-tech social enterprise that leverages advanced technologies to provide a unique and valuable means for farmers, agribusinesses, and organizations in emerging markets to stabilize operations, mitigate risks, build resilience, and maximize profits. Ignitia is a low-ego, high-energy environment. We don’t have multiple management layers and we are not into red tape or office politics. We have some of the best minds in meteorology, math, and technology working alongside a powerful commercial sales team to change how weather impacts the food system in the tropical belt.
HOW WILL YOU MAKE AN IMPACT?
Ignitia provides climate and weather forecasting services to 2 million subscribers through a robust portfolio of programs and partners in Ghana, Nigeria, Mali, Côte d’Ivoire, and Burkina Faso. We have launched in Brazil and have ambitions to scale to other countries in the Latam region. In addition to reaching farmers directly through the region’s largest mobile network operators, and through a web app and web dashboard used by agribusinesses like crop input distributors, we’re also an agtech service provider to INGOs and their farmer beneficiaries. As ignitia’s Regional Director (RD), you will oversee the successful expansion and implementation of new and existing programs in Brazil for both agribusiness customer engagements and NGO project subcontracts. S/he will be responsible for effectively collaborating with the sales team for customer and implementation handover, the product team for customer feedback and service improvements. S/he will continuously develop operational efficiencies and drive project delivery innovations to submit project deliverables on time and within budget leading to long-term service contracts with repeat customers
Primary functions and responsibilities
● Leadership: oversee, support and coach the LATAM team in delivering their objectives whether it is Finance, Admin, or Project Implementation/Account Management; develop tools and processes that drive operational efficiencies across the business; build technical knowledge and demonstrate thought leadership by committing to continuous improvement, pursuing workshops and webinars to position the company as a leader in agtech, and gathering and sharing customer feedback and competitor insights broadly within the company.
● Sales: Drive consultative sales to Ag Business. Strategise, negotiate, & close business, personally create new leads from prospecting efforts and leverage business from new & established relationships and client relationships.
● Project execution: establish and maintain strong working relationships with customers, such as cooperatives, input distributors, seed and input companies, off takers, FMCG companies, and agricultural technology platforms; effectively develop and execute activities against a clear work plan to deliver on contractual milestones and ensure high-quality and timely submission of reports and invoices to customers; develop and execute against a sound KYC plan that tracks and assesses both commercial and social performance indicators; actively problem solve and anticipate delivery challenges related to customer forecast and advisory receipt and use of services within agribusiness operations; create knowledge management products and marketing collateral including best practices documents, ignitia product literature, implementation guides, case studies and video testimonials to capture lessons learned and promote ignitia’s brand.
● Financial management: Manage country and regional budgets, quarterly financial planning, audits, and backstop and support reporting alignment with Swedish financial processes (supported by bookkeeper in Sweden); process international payments.
● HR: manage and provide timely and regular feedback to colleagues and direct reports including annual performance management process; hire independent consultants and staff as required for project implementation.
● Coordination: collaborate with the sales and product teams to ensure smooth customer service, satisfaction, and increase lifetime value where pilots lead to scale-up.
● Support: support the sales team as needed for business development activities from lead generation to presentations to follow-ups; support the CEO in board and investor reporting for the region.
WHO ARE YOU?
The RD will have significant management and international experience, be capable of successfully leading programs, teams, and operations across multiple countries, and have a passion for social entrepreneurship to create social and commercial value. S/he is an outstanding communicator and team leader, an adaptive manager, entrepreneurial, and ambitious. S/he is analytical and team-oriented with an interest in climate change, agtech, and agribusiness in LATAM. Experience in startup of a new business will be desirable.
WHAT WILL IT TAKE?
● Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, economics, business, technology, or other related field. Master’s degree (MBA, MPP, MIA) preferred.
● At least 10 years of experience in country operations, team management, project implementation and delivery.
● Previous experience working with agribusinesses or Agrotech companies required.
● Skilled in stakeholder engagement and managing complex relationships from Executive to field level.
● Excellent knowledge of the key cash and staple supply chains, the food system, and agricultural sustainability sectors in LATAM, the key stakeholders, their business and social outcome priorities, and how they operate and how decisions are made.
● Powerful communicator – both written and oral.
● Outstanding project and financial management skills.
● Self-starter with strong time management skills.
● Excellent computer skills and tech savvy.
● Superb analytical skills and a mastery of data analysis; experience in both qualitative and quantitative M&E approaches a strong plus.
● Advanced oral and written proficiency in English and Portuguese. Ability to speak and write in Spanish is a plus.
Please submit your CV in English https://ignitia-ab.workable.com/